Q: I have a real estate question. A buyer wants to buy the house where I am living now, I am currently a tenant, can the buyer make me leave?

A: No, because buyers willing to negotiate a property where a tenant currently resides are subject to the terms of the property release.

Q: Hi, I wanted to know if I can sue the owner of the place where I was living, even though I no longer live there.

A: Unfortunately, if you no longer reside in the territory you cannot sue, unless you have been physically injured.

Q: I’m not from the United States, but can I find out if I can form a company there? Thank you.

A: I have great news for you! The answer to your question is yes, you can start a business here.

Q: Hello! Well I’m 17 years old and I wanted to know if I can sign contracts and all those things to buy a house, is it allowed?

A: Unfortunately, contracts and other important documents must be signed by people over the age of 18. Now, if you are a minor, you should ask your parents for help.

Q: Hi, my name is Samuel, I wanted to know if a commercial lease covers fixtures, improvements and alterations?

A: Most commercial leases will prohibit the tenant from making any modifications or improvements to the interior and exterior of the property, without prior authorization from the landlord.

Q: What is a gross lease?

A: A gross lease is when the landlord pays for utilities, insurance, taxes, and repairs. In addition, rent is generally higher with this type of lease, because many of these costs are included, but, the tenant will pay the same amount each month. On the other hand, the payment of utilities is in a database on a case-by-case basis, usually the responsibility of the tenant.

Q: Without being a resident, can a foreign national start a business, here in the U.S.?

A: The answer is yes. Many nonresident aliens have their businesses by obtaining nonimmigrant visas, such as L-1 and E-2 visas, through companies operating in the U.S.

Q: Can you give us more details about L-1 and E-2 visas?

A: The common misunderstanding for the L-1 visa is that category L is only for large multinational companies to transfer executives or managers from the U.S. The L-1 visa category actually provides the opportunity, for foreign nationals who own and operate a business outside the U.S. who have worked for at least one year, in an executive or managerial capacity to establish a new branch and subsidiary in the U.S. Originally, USCIS approves the L visa for the new charge for one year.

Now, if you are from countries with which the U.S. maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation, and you are developing and running a new business, where money has been invested, or this in the investment process, you can qualify for the E-2 visa.

Q: Is there an adequate amount of investments, required for L-1 or E-2 visas?

A: Neither the L-1 nor E-2 has a “specific” amount of the required investment. For L-1, the size of the capital investment should be sufficient to repay the foreign beneficiary and conduct business in the U.S. By E-2, the investment must be “broad”, and the company cannot be “minimal”.

Q: What are some of the main common concerns in classification for L or E visas?

A: Common concerns for new office L visa applications are securing the physical premises where business will operate, and the detailed plan to demonstrate that the petitioner will support an executive or managerial position for one year. Since the “new office” petition can only be approved for one year, the petitioner must show that the business is in progress, in order to extend the petition after initial approval of one year.

For E-2 visas, a detailed business plan, legal sources of funds as well as control of capital investors are the main concerns.